The following blog post was written by Mikayla Hart, 2016 MBA Candidate. I’m very grateful that I participated in UR Simon the other weekend. This annual event, which is for Simon’s newly admitted MBA and MS students, was a busy couple of days. Students met future classmates, attended a case discussion led by Professor Greg […]
The following blog post was written by Jay Gillespie, 2016 MBA Candidate
I didn’t understand how well Simon prepared me for a management position until I began my summer internship in the marketing department of Bigelow Tea. I have an arts background (worked as a full-time actor prior to Simon), and I would like to transition into brand management and marketing.
Bigelow Tea treats their MBA interns like full-time staff so I was completely involved with the entire marketing team – everything from traditional brand management and market research, to social media planning and analytics. I was well prepared for all of it. And when it came to analytics I felt like I was on the cutting edge.
What I liked most about my internship was that I worked with an extremely talented and hard-working team that provided a lot of support (very similar to the Simon community!).
As I reflect on my internship, one interesting story comes to mind. After only one month on the internship, I was asked to attend the national marketing and sales conference and give a twenty-minute presentation to the national sales team. I was a little nervous, but it went smoothly and the senior brand manager complemented me afterwards.
My internship was a lot of work, but the experience was rewarding and I feel highly valued. In fact, the team has mentioned how it would be great to have me around full time, very exciting.
It’s hard to believe it was only last week that we welcomed Simon’s incoming full-time MBA and MS students for Orientation. It feels like it’s been much longer – and in a good way! Students have settled into the Simon and Rochester communities, made what will be lifelong friendships with their peers, and started Fall Mini Quarter.
Before students continue to take the next steps in their B-school journey, Simon Admissions would like to highlight all the fun from #SimonOrientation. Dean Andrew Ainslie kicked-off the first day with a welcome, alongside Rebekah Lewin, Assistant Dean of Admissions and Student Engagement. And over the course of both days, there were keynotes addresses, Career Management Center workshops, student leadership presentations, team-building activities and more. To top it off, there were social hours at the Rochester Museum & Science Center and Seneca Park Zoo where the newest members of the Rochester community could see a few of the popular landmarks in their new city.
Students were encouraged to document their first few days as a Simon student using #SimonOrientation on social media. Thank you to our students who shared their #SimonOrientation experiences!
Simon Orientation is still in full swing – we welcomed our incoming MS Class of 2016 on Monday, and yesterday we welcomed our MBA Class of 2017! It was this time last year that we started working with these students as they explored B-school opportunities, and we are thrilled that they have chosen Simon for their journey.
This year’s incoming class is an impressive cohort. I can spend a great deal of time (and blog space!) highlighting these students’ accomplishments and range of diversity, but here is a quick overview of their background:
- The MBA Class represents 20 nationalities, spanning 5 continents
- Women make up 42 percent of the class
- An average of 5.2 years of work experience at various companies, including Bank of America, Barclays, Coca-Cola, Deloitte, The Dow Chemical Company, General Electric, Goldman Sachs, KPMG, Lockheed Martin, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Teach for America, United States Navy, and more
- Professional designations held by the incoming class include Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Accountant, Chartered Financial Analyst, National Society of Black Engineers, Six Sigma Certified, Top Secret/SCI Clearance
- Hobbies and interests include individual and team sports, music, public speaking/debate, domestic and international travel, and volunteerism and service projects.
Welcome, MBA Class of 2017! The next couple of years will be a time of significant personal growth and professional development. We look forward to what’s on the horizon!
Interested in learning more about Simon’s MBA program? Contact the Simon Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (585) 275-3533 for more information.
It’s an exciting week for the Simon Admissions Team and school community – Simon Orientation started yesterday, and we had the pleasure of welcoming the full-time MS Class of 2016 to campus.
Simon offers distinctive specialized MS programs in Accountancy, Business Analytics, Marketing Analytics, and Health Care Management. These programs are designed to give students an in-depth business education and the technical skills needed to succeed in their desired field. We’re excited to see what these 125 incoming students will accomplish in the coming year and beyond, but let’s first highlight their unique backgrounds and life experiences:
- Students represent 14 countries, spanning 5 continents
- The average age of students is 22
- Women make up 76 percent of the class
- An average of 1.3 years of work experience at various multi-national companies, including Accenture, Bain & Company, Ernst & Young, KPMG, Lenovo, Ogilvy, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Siemens, Walt Disney, and more
- Students attended various undergraduate institutions domestically and abroad, including Acadia University, KIIT University, Renmin University, Shanghai University of Finance & Economics, University of Liverpool, University of Washington, and a number of State University of New York schools
Best wishes to the MS Class of 2016 as they embark on their b-school journey! If you would like to learn about the MS Finance Class of 2016 specifically, please check out this recent blog post.
Interested in Simon’s specialized MS programs? Contact the Simon Admissions Office at email@example.com or (585) 275-3533 for more information.